Red Bull Air Race to Make its Only UK Appearance at the Farnborough International Airshow
Fans of fast flying will not be disappointed at this July’s Farnborough International Airshow: the Red Bull Air Race is making its only 2018 UK appearance at the show.
Red Bull Air Race is bringing a team of two pilots flying Edge 540 raceplanes to demonstrate to the Farnborough Airshow audience the very best of the new dimension of motorsport. In the demonstration, Italian pilot Dario Costa and the UK’s own Ben Murphy will reach speeds of 370kmh while enduring forces of up to 12G as they navigate a low-level racetrack, marked by 25-meter-high, air-filled pylons.
It is the first time since 2016 that UK audiences will be able to get up close to this legendary motorsport with the pilots showcasing the very best of the techniques they use in a race.
Group Marketing Director for Farnborough International, Andrew Pearcey says: “The Red Bull Air Race is iconic and I am delighted the team will be a major part of this year’s Farnborough Airshow. Our flying display will be nothing short of thrilling; it is packed full of tension, excitement and variety.”
The famous 25-meter-high Red Bull Air Race pylons are set to dominate the Farnborough Airshow skyline. They test a pilot’s skill and accuracy, providing a track through which they need to fly with absolute precision.
Ben Murphy, Red Bull Air Race Master Class Pilot says:
“The Farnborough International Airshow 2018 is one of the biggest aviation events in the world so we’re delighted to be able to perform in the Red Bull Air Race Demonstration and show what our Blades Racing Team Edge 540 can do. The last U.K. race was in 2016, so it’s important we keep the awareness of the Red Bull Air Race high in the minds of the UK public and give them a taste of the excitement of air racing.”
Facts about the Red Bull Air Race
- The Red Bull Air Race World Championship is an official World Championship recognised by the Fédération Aéronautique Internationale (FAI), The World Sports Air Federation.
- The Red Bull Air Race features 14 of the world’s best pilots in a pure motorsport competition that combines speed, precision and skill.
- The pilots use the fastest, most agile, lightweight racing planes, pilots hit speeds of 370kmh while enduring forces of up to 12G as they navigate a low-level slalom track marked by 25-meter-high, air-filled pylons.
Facts about the Farnborough International Airshow
- Around 80,000 people are expected to attend the public weekend which takes place on 21 and 22 July, and a number of fast-paced acts have been announced including:
- The Blades, one of the world’s most exhilarating aerobatic flying display teams. Founded by ex-Red Arrows pilots, the Blades team will dominate the sky with a bespoke, close-formation aerobatic display designed especially for the Farnborough Airshow.
- Real life ‘Iron Man’ Richard Browning, will fly - using more horsepower than a Formula 1 car in his specially-designed gravity jet suit, effectively a miniature Harrier.
- The Harrier, last time it appeared at the show was in 2014. This is a rare opportunity to glimpse this legend of the skies.
- The F16, one of the world’s most impressive fast jets, which is flying courtesy of the US Department of Defence.